How Your Support Helps
Travel Expenses. Our competitive teams are the only adaptive sports teams in the greater St. Louis area; the closest competitors are in Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Chicago, so we don’t have local games like most competitive teams. We travel to tournaments to compete and hotel rooms and travel expenses are, well – expensive!
Specialized Equipment. The equipment needed to play these sports is specialized and custom fit for each athlete. Our athletes are not able to roll into a sporting goods store and pick out what they need. When a new athlete comes to DASA, we help him or her get started with the equipment we have on hand, but eventually, each athlete has to purchase their own piece of specialized equipment, which can be cost-prohibitive to playing the sport they love.
Wheelchair (Quad) Rugby
An entry-level rugby chair is $8000! Typical team fundraisers include:
- Bash For Cash: Non-rugby players of all abilities (e.g. able-bodied, paraplegic, amputee, etc.) create a team to compete against other non-rugby teams. Teams will play in several games and the winningest team will play the DASA Spartan Rugby Team for the grand prize. Teams will be coached by the Spartan players prior to the event.
- Trivia Night: Get your table together, bring your own food and beverages, and test your trivia knowledge, all in the name of raising funds for rugby!
An entry-level basketball chair is $4000! Typical team fundraisers include:
- Rams vs. Teachers: The DASA Rolling Rams play a game of wheelchair basketball again the schools’ teachers! Schools that participate include Pattonville High School, Parkway High School, Kirkwood Middle School, North County High School in Bonne Terre, and Union High School.
- Cops vs. Kids: Our local Heros in Blue compete against the Rolling Rams. You can’t miss this one!
An entry-level sled with sticks and protective equipment is $2000! Typical team fundraisers include:
- Fire on Ice: The DASA Blues take on our local fire fighting heroes, as these heroes fight to stay upright in a sled!
- Blues vs. Hockey Clubs: Local Hockey Clubs have their chance to get into sleds and play against the DASA Blues players.